Volunteer Opportunities at the Lowell Folk Festival
Volunteer! Without You, It Wouldn’t Be A Festival!
Lowell National Historical Park and partners are producing the 31st Annual Folk Festival in Lowell on July 27-29, 2018. For this grand festival to continue as the largest free folk festival in the country, we are recruiting more than a thousand volunteers. You could be one of them!
We are inviting volunteers, businesses, and organizations to donate their time and energy. Individual volunteers will continue to be the event’s backbone, and we are also recruiting teams of volunteers sponsored by businesses and organizations to:
- assist in set-up and take-down of stages and seating areas
- help with recycling and collection of trash and recyclables
- perform other individual tasks, ranging from the logging of performer music and the escorting and transportation of musicians to helping festival visitors to find their way around the downtown festival sites
- Bucket Brigade – collect donations at festival stages and throughout the festival grounds
For more information and/or to apply offline, please:
- Call the Lowell National Historical Park Volunteer Office at 978-275-1740, or
- Stop in at the Lowell National Historical Park Visitor Center at 246 Market Street, Lowell (free parking at 304 Dutton Street) and fill out an application.
Individuals and groups are encouraged to volunteer.
Please mark a few choices of jobs so that we may place you where you will be needed.
There will be a volunteer orientation meeting prior to the festival. All volunteers are strongly encouraged to attend.
All those who commit to at least 4 hours of volunteering will be given a Festival Volunteer shirt that we ask you to wear during your assignment for identification purposes.
Bucket Brigade Teams are integral to our fundraising efforts, collecting donations from our generous, happy festival attendees. We rely on our Bucket Brigade donations to keep our event free!
Your company or group can form your own Bucket Brigade Team.
Each team must make a commitment to at least a three-hour shift once during the festival.
Your team will:
- Be listed on our website
- Be given our official Bucket Brigade T-Shirts
- Be recognized from stages during the Festival
- Feel special for your community service!
- Have fun, fun, fun!
To set up your Bucket Brigade Team, contact the Lowell National Historical Park Volunteer Office at 978-275-1740.
How did this all start?
The Lowell Folk Festival came out of a festival tradition that started in 1973 with a series of community ethnic festivals completely organized by volunteers. Many of the folks who work year round on the event have been involved with festivals here for 30 years or more. Newer members often come through new generations of families that have been involved for decades. There is no question that the loyalty of this group keeps this event humming and it is critical to the on-going success the event has enjoyed. The festival continues to recruit volunteers from Lowell and the entire region.